Author Topic: Ian K's stuff  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Ian K

• Once a Jolly swagman always a jolly swagman!
Ian K's stuff
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
Hi all UP! users et al,
I have been successfully printing some very useful items for my use and possible product development on my UP! Plus printer. I thought I would start this thread to show some of what I have done and perhaps inspire others to do the 'little' things that can help us out.
I am designing an Aquaponics system for general distribution and I found that some of the pieces needed(?) could not be sourced or too big, too many combined elements to achieve the end result or just not fit for purpose. With my UP! plus printer, all these problems have been solved! I must say from the outset that I have been a Mechanical and Architectural draughtsman for the past 40 years, so CAD and 3D design is not a problem. I produce STL binary files from AutoCAD 3D solid models and import them into the UP software or 3D Builder app for Windows 8.1, on my Dell XPS 15 laptop. I have also purchased and am using the XPro 3d scanner and Scanect with great results.

Just as a primer, here is a piece I have developed and printed as a part for my upcoming Aquaponics Herb Tower prototype. This is a simple water spreader to spin, mix with air, agitate and re-direct water pumped from a sump to the 'fish tank'. Don't worry about the aquaponics process involved, just have a look at the part I have printed, tested and am very happy with to do the job. It is attached here as an STL(might be too big to attach), UP3 and a 3d PDF(might be too big to attach) for you to have a look at and examine at your leisure! I will post some photos later if you are interested in the printed result I have achieved.

The logo prints well, the part has the required tolerances and scale (after a bit of configuration of the Printer) and the fit is what one would expect from a quality produced component.

Given a bit of feed back, I have lots of other projects that may not be in the mainstream for "clients", like a 3D horse mould for a cake decorator, a dishwasher door top clip, Fibre optic cable supports and more aquaponics parts that you may (or may not!0 be interested in. My most successful printed 'bespoke' parts have been the knuckles for my retracting courtyard membrane cover sliding supports! Give me a PM if you want me to email you the STL and/or 3D PDF files if they are too big for this forum to attach. PS: which they are!!

Cheers for now,  Ian K

One good turn . . . . .  gets most of the blanket!

Offline ozzimike76

• Helping To Print The Word Forward.
Re: Ian K's stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Gday IanK cool part i too am from a similar background and just Won A UP2 Plus through Popular science Subscription comp, they are  cool for expressing your ideas.

I am very interested in your aquaponics concept I have been into aquaponics for a long time.

feel free to PM me or email.

cheers mate keep up the good work. 8)
Helping To Print The Word Forward.

Print Away My Fellow Makers

Offline Ian K

• Once a Jolly swagman always a jolly swagman!
Re: Ian K's stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »
Cheers ozzimike,
I assume you are in Oz? Thanks for your comments. I have had great success with my UP!Plus printer. Have tried a lot of filaments etc. and am developing a catalogue of successes for reference for the next project.

I have just bought a FILABOT Mini and am awaiting delivery. I find that I get so much better output with a lot of support material, but it gets thrown away. So I thought I could combine this "waste" with new pellets to make my own filament. Will let you (and the Forum) know how it goes.

The aquaponics venture has also been a huge success at home, supplying us with good fish and vegies. My Wife has now taken over an IBC system that was featured in Joel Malcolm's IBC manual! But she only wants Goldfish in it because they are virtually indestructible.

Anyhow, back to 3D printing: am now trying to develop a "marketable" use for my 3D scanner for small bust portraits instead of a photograph. My grand daughters asked if they could have a bust of themselves that they could "paint"! Why not? Sounds like a project to me.

Cheers and looking forward to some responses.
The forum doesn't seem really active at the moment.

Ian K

One good turn . . . . .  gets most of the blanket!