Author Topic: Printing small 3d Text  (Read 2499 times)

Offline QBiK

Printing small 3d Text
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »

I have had a UP Plus 2 for about 4 months or so now, and have been enjoying the learning curve. Currently designing with Solidworks but am also exploring scanning options and mesh manipulation software but been slow in this area.

My question is:

Has anybody had issues while printing small extruded text?

I have modelled a lovely coffee scoop and tried to put some text on the handle but I cannot get the text to fully print. It leaves gaps.

This project started with an offhand comment over coffee and has led me to discover this issue  :-[

Yes I can print all sorts of 'wonderful geary' things but alas I cant make a coffee scoop with a name on the handle!!!  ::)

Offline dale3dps

• Administrator
    • 3D Printing Systems
Re: Printing small 3d Text
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
You will need to make the text fairly large.

Any wall thinner than 1mm most likely won't be printed, so you will need to ensure that the text is think enough.
| Sales and Support | | Skype: dale3dps

Offline car3less

• Print 3d Bucuresti
Re: Printing small 3d Text
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »
Even though the topic has been abandoned it seems, maybe somebody else has this problem as well.
I have tried multiple types of text, it depends on the mesh. The minimum dimensions of the text height I've been using are 5 mm height, 1 mm thickness. If the surface on which is printed is horizontal you can take into consideration to NOT join into a single mesh the text and the surface.
Hope it works for you or for other people watching this!