Author Topic: Refining printer accuracy with test prints  (Read 3821 times)

Offline nz_andy

Refining printer accuracy with test prints
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
I Am having the odd issues with printer accuracy especially inside diameters.
Some of the issue is that it does not always happen, it is dependant on wall thickness and other variables.

I created a test print others may find useful, I use it to refine the printer (STL attached)
Below is the dimensions:

Using the printer standard settings the inside diameter or dimensions of the thicker square / circle are 4.55 instead of 5mm so well undersize, while the thinner wall parts are OK. 
I use the zigzag to see how well it changes direction, with this you see the slower print speed is better.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:40:47 PM by nz_andy »

Offline Domenic

Re: Refining printer accuracy with test prints
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
Hi Andy,

Yes I find that the calibration presets do not calibrate the printer precisely. I have a lot of problems with support material binding to one side of the part or not printing high enough, to the detriment of steep overhangs. I always have to manually tweak each setting (which doesn't help that some of the instructions are back to front in the manual), it's quite time consuming.

I am doing this as we speak. I'll try printing your part and see how it goes.
Inspire S250

Offline nz_andy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
After much testing and trails, I found a few useful things:

1.   In the print menu set the "print path optimization to ":mode 1"
It is not well explained in the manual but this makes a big difference to part accuracy. The issue I had with under size holes and oversize OD's is to do with the order of printing.
The contour should be printed first as this sets a "wall" that cools and sets and contains the fill,  if "mode 1" is not selected then the fill often prints first (but not always) thus sets first with overlap and then the contour gets printed, because there is overlap the plastic must go somewhere so It squashes away from the fill making things over and undersize.  While if the contour is printed first the fill squashes in so the contour holds the correct shape. (and it looks better).
2.   Support material offset
When you lower the Z height of the offset it move head closer to the raft and bonds to it better, but it is important to note that at the same time it moves away for the part being supported, these two are linked so it is always a matter of finding the best balance between raft and part.  (We have to realize that changing the Z value affects two things)

To put it another way, move the Z offset closer to the part to support it better also moves it away form the raft.

Offline chromii

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:08:12 PM »
Worth Mentioning:
If you are having on going alignment issues, between Build & Support material.
Where the range of offset  is not enough to bring the support nozzle into alignment.

Please check the support nozzle is physically set correctly, as per the manual.
Ie.  It is Higher than the build nozzle when not extruding & Lower when extruding.

The support nozzle is spring loaded to lift up & out of the way when not in use.
But it can, if not set correctly, be too high or too low, which takes it out of the software offset range.

Cheers.

Offline wiliamsclarken

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
The refine provides a way of improving the profile accuracy of a proofing system to convert between the target space printing files and the proofing device space.

padprinting
pad printer