Author Topic: Garmin Etrex 30 holder for your 2011 Subaru Forester  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Ian Smith

Garmin Etrex 30 holder for your 2011 Subaru Forester
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
Well, after a couple of false starts, I finally got something that I find acceptable.
Been looking around for a commercial option but they all want you to stick it up on the dash or, worse, onto the windscreen.
This holder clips to the divider between the two central air vents just below the radio.
It doesn't obscure your field of vision or any controls.
I've taken it for a couple of test drives over bumpy roads and it stays put, so I'm a happy camper.
The attached STL is at 10 times normal so don't forget to scale it back.

Ian

Offline bruce3dps

• Administrator
  • Join the revolution!
    • 3D Printing Systems
Re: Garmin Etrex 30 holder for your 2011 Subaru Forester
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing, excellent print. Did you use acetone on the part?

Offline Ian Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
Bruce,
Yes I did paint acetone on the clip portion, especially on the small lugs which were always breaking on my prototypes.
It doesn't take much material to make them hang on, but too much and they break.

I also found out something I'm sure others are aware of and that is that the direction of printing makes a big difference to the strength of things.

I initially tried to build it with the long axis horizontal, but soon discovered that this made those little lugs really weak, so the final one was printed with the long axis vertical to the build platform and that seems to have done the trick.  I've taken the thing on some pretty rough roads and it hasn't come unclipped

Ian

Offline Stuartblarg

• I just can't stop
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
Yeah, parts will often break more readily along the direction of the layers. Trying to friction fit tubing into printed parts is a nightmare when layers are running the same direction of the tube.