Author Topic: Difficult To Remove Raft - Black Jack v2.0  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Lachlan Tsang

Difficult To Remove Raft - Black Jack v2.0
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
Hi all!

I recently bought an Up Mini and have very happily been printing some large parts. However, I ran out of the included roll of white ABS and so bought a roll of the Black Jack v2.0 http://store.3dprintingsystems.com/3D_Printer_Filament/1.75m_ABS_Filament_Black_Jack

I printed a larger part off at 0.20mm / Normal and I am finding that the raft is extremely difficult to remove. I notice in the instructions the suggestion to leave the extruder door open, but since I want to avoid too much wasting plastic through experimenting I was wondering if I could get some input regarding how much the door should be open for different layer heights.

The part I am printing off takes up quite a large proportion of the perfboard but it isn't particularly tall. I'd like to avoid curling as much as possible.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I printed off a part with the extruder door fully open and found the support material could be removed at 0.25mm. It still requires some effort but is doable :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:58:43 PM by Lachlan Tsang »

Offline bruce3dps

• Administrator
  • Join the revolution!
    • 3D Printing Systems
Re: Difficult To Remove Raft - Black Jack v2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
The black Jack (any ABS on cardboard spools) warps less than the UP ABS, but like you say can be harder to remove.

Open the extruder door after the raft is done. If you have the door open during preheating it will blow cold air onto the platform and can cause warping.

Offline joemar

Re: Difficult To Remove Raft - Black Jack v2.0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »
I also have hard time working on the guide initially, but it turns things well after following the instruction.